The current aquaculture industry is advancing towards a modern, automated road, and the farming method is moving to a new stage, starting with chicken cage farming. Chicken cage culture is a multi-layer cage, which can increase the breeding density of farmers, and breed about three times more chickens in the original culture area. However, the farming method has improved and the management of the farmers has to be improved. Therefore, the authors refer to the recommendations of the poultry equipment manufacturers to share the management skills of using chicken cages.
When the chickens are not in a new environment, they will not be able to adapt. There will always be some stress reactions, which will affect the growth of the whole group in severe cases. Therefore, farmers should pay attention to the following items when putting chickens into chicken cages:
1. Chickens can be changed to free drinking water and free to eat 2 to 3 days before entering the cage. Preferably, 0.01% to 0.02% of erythromycin is added to the feed, and 0.01% to 0.02% of vitamins and 5% to 8% of glucose are added to the drinking water. Only 2 to 4 hours before the transfer, the water is not fed.
2. From the case of farmed laying hens, transfer to chicken cages early enough to allow sufficient time to adapt to the new environment before the start of production. The authors suggest that farmers should be transferred to chicken cages for best breeding in laying hens from 110 to 120 days of age. Because at this time, the development of various organs in the laying hens, especially the reproductive organs, is at the peak, and delaying later will increase the stress response and affect the subsequent egg production.
3. Before placing the chicken in the chicken cage, the farmer should carefully observe the spirit, feed intake, and feces of the chicken. If abnormalities are found, they cannot be transferred. If individual chickens have therapeutic value, they can be treated separately. Once they are restored, they will be transferred to the cage again.
4. Because of the difference in temperature during the day, it is better for the farmer to choose the time in the morning or evening, and the temperature can be controlled within 10-20 °C.
5. After transferring to the cage, add antibiotics and vitamins to the feed and water within 1 week. At the same time, it is still necessary to keep the bottom of the cage for about 1 week. After the adaptation, the bottom of the cage is tilted to an angle that can be rolled, generally not exceeding 20 °C. The bulb used preferably has an illumination range of more than 2.5 m2, and it is conditionally possible to use green light within 24 hours after entering the cage.
6. To keep the flock relatively stable, strange chickens will fight each other after they enter the chicken coop, fighting for food, fighting for water, and fighting for content. This phenomenon will last for more than a month and will establish a new neighbor relationship. Therefore, when dismantling the cage, it should be as close as possible to the same shed and the same circle to avoid mixed groups.
The above six points are the management points when using chicken battery cages to raise chickens. It is hoped that farmers can refer to them carefully so as not to be transferred into cages. The stress of chickens affects the economic benefits of farmers.